We Are Puget Sound Family Day
Bring the whole family to celebrate the opening of
We are Puget Sound
Experience the wonder of Puget Sound through the unique wildlife and living cultures that call the Salish Sea home. We Are Puget Sound highlights people who protect and restore this region through stunning photography, new community insights, and the Burke Museum’s expansive collections. Learn more about the exhibit.
Activities offered all day:
- Gallery challenge with Husky Hunt and prizes
- Meet our Partners from Mountaineers Books and the Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission
- Make an ocean puppet for our puppet theater
- Dress-up and take a photo in our beach-themed playspace
- Make a marine conservation button
- Unearth ancient ocean animals in our dig pit
- Learn about Living Traditions with Mary Jane Topash (Tulalip)
- Preview our new Nature's Networks BurkeMobile program
- Meet diver, filmmaker, and activist Laura James, who is featured in the exhibit
Activities at select times:
10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Create a craft with the Hibulb Cultural Center
10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Chat with students who work with the Burke fish collection
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
See tapa artist Stewart Wong in the Artist Studio
Touch specimens from the Burke education collection
Join us for chats and stories in the Floor 2 Experience Alcove:
Join author Nora Nickum for a reading and signing of her book Superpod: Saving the Endangered Orcas of the Pacific Northwest designed for students in grades 3-7. Learn about the beloved Southern Resident orcas and people working to help them recover using everything from drones and dogs to medicine and laws.
12:30 p.m. & 2:30 p.m.
Coast Salish Artist & Storyteller Ty Juvinel (Tulalip), to learn about how the Puget Sound inspires his work.
1:30 p.m. & 3:30 p.m.
Touch specimens from the Burke’s education collection during a reading of the book, Did you Make the Hole in the Shell in the Bottom of the Sea?, by Janice S. C. Petrie.
Save on admission
Parking at the Burke is FREE on Family Day, but you can save $4 on the cost of admission if you take public transit. Learn more on our Directions & Parking page.