Grand Opening Weekend
Kids are VIPs at the New Burke on Kids' Day! Special programs for little ones include touch tables, take-home crafts, story time, Baby Shark dance parties, and more.
Throughout Grand Opening Weekend, the new Burke Yard will be transformed into a free outdoor festival with multicultural music and dance performances, family-friendly activities, and food trucks.
Grand Opening Weekend is also the grand opening of the new Off the Rez Café! Enjoy tasty fry bread and other Native foods in Off the Rez’s first brick-and-mortar location. Their food truck, rated one of the Top 25 Food Trucks in America by Food Network, will also be here all of opening weekend.
Not a member? A Burke membership pays for itself in 3 visits to the museum. Join today!
Schedule of Activities
- 10:30 AM & 3:30 PM: Under the Sea Story Time
- 11:30 AM & 1:30 PM: Baby Shark Dance Party
- 12:30 PM & 2:30 PM: Ichthyology Show and Tell with Collections Manager Katherine Maslenikov
- Shark crafts
- Sea animal puppet theater
- Megalodon dress-up
- Sea critter touch table
- Magnet fishing
- Microscope investigations, coloring, and touchable objects
- Fossil rubbing and dino play
- Hidden Husky Scavenger Hunt (find the huskies to win a temporary tattoo!)
- 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM: Archaeology Workroom Open Door
- 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM: Contemporary Culture Workroom Open Door
- 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM: Paleontology Workroom Open Door
- 11 AM - 3 PM: Artist Studio Open Door with carvers David A. Boxley, David R. Boxley and Dylan Sanidad
- 1:30-4:30 PM: Learning Lab Inside the Glass with the Herbarium
- 1:30-4:30 PM: Biology Workroom Open Door
- 10 AM: Dancing with Seattle Danza Azteca
- 11 AM: Dancing with Zumba Kids
- 12 PM: Dancing with Iksiks Washanalama" and the Lil' Swan Dancers
- 1 PM: Burke Trivia
- 1:30 PM: Dancing with Guma Imahe
- 2:30 PM: Burke Trivia
- 3 PM: Dancing with Git Hoan / People of the Salmon
- 4 PM: Karaoke
- 10 AM - 2 PM: Aleksa Manila
- 2-5 PM: Lourdez Velasco
- 10 AM - 1 PM: Sven Haakanson and Alfred Naumoff
- 10 AM - 1 PM: DeAnn Jacobson
- 1-5 PM: Shaadootlaa Lyall
- 10 AM - 3 PM: Chalk Artist Angelina Villalobos
- 10 AM - 3 PM: Chalk Artist Clinton Sana
- 10 AM - 1 PM: Get up close to live animals from the Woodland Park Zoo
- 10 AM - 5 PM: Learn about the native plants in the New Burke landscaping with members of the Oxbow Farms & Conservation Center—the organization that cultivated over 70,000 plants from seedlings.
- 10 AM - 5 PM: Come and create with Henry Art Gallery.
- 10 AM - 5 PM: The Seattle Times
- 10 AM - 5 PM: Off the Rez
- 1-5 PM: Alchemy Ice Cream
Book a timed ticket ahead of your visit:
- Advance timed tickets are offered every 60 minutes throughout the day. If tickets are still available during this time, they will be listed at burkemuseum.org/tickets.
- Please arrive as close as possible to the entry time listed on your ticket. There is a lot to see and do at the Burke Museum, so we suggest allowing between 1 1/2 and 2 hours to make the most of your visit.
- Walk up admissions may be available on a first come, first served basis as museum capacity allows.