Winter in the Northwest
Activities for Kids & Families
Special Winter Break Programming
December 18–31, 2021
10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
In addition to the drop-in alcove activities, families can chat with Burke educators about our Coast Salish seasonal round, check out a plank house model, and touch preserved seasonal food items and pelts from our education collection.
Alcove activities are back!
Enjoy books, toys, and crafts in our Experience Alcoves and Fieldcamp Playspace.
Floor 2 Biology Alcove:
- Let it snow! Check out past traditions shared by visitors and add your own to our winter forest scene.
- Spot a visiting snowy owl in our workroom and make your own 3D owl to take home.
- Search the forest for plants and animals to sort in our Coast Salish seasonal round!
Floor 3 Paleontology Alcove:
- Enter the Ice Age! Use stamps to create an Ice Age holiday card to give to a loved one.
- Ice Age-themed play table with mammoths, mastodons, sloths, and tigers!
Floor 3 Field Camp Playspace:
- Gather around the fire! Cozy up at our dramatic play hearth where kids can create a traditional Coast Salish winter recipe using toys shaped like local northwest ingredients!
Help keep Burke families safe by wearing your mask, maintaining 3 foot social distancing from kids outside your household, and washing or sanitizing your hands before and after handling shared materials.