IKIP COLEOPTERA REPORT
RESULTS TO DATE.-The taxonomic diversity of the IKIP coleopteran
specimens identified to date consists of 49 species belonging to 30 genera
in 7 families. Published results on this material include 9 new
archipelago records and 25 new island records representing 15 species (see
New Coleoptera Records). All of these
specimen records, complete with corresponding locality data, are on-line
and fully searchable (see IKIP Databases).
The taxonomist who have examined this material are listed below:
- ANGUS, Robert (Department of Biology, University of London,
Egham, Surrey, U.K.). Material examined: all helophorid taxa from the
1994 expedition (U.S.A. team's collections).
- KAVANAUGH, David (Department of Entomology, California
Academy of Sciences, San Francisco, California, U.S.A.). Material
examined: all carabid taxa from the 1994 expedition (U.S.A. team's
- NILSSON, Anders (Department of Animal Ecology, University of
Umea, Umea, Sweden). Material examined: all aquatic coleopteran (except
Helophoridae) taxa from the 1994 and 1995 expeditions (U.S.A. team's
- ‘HARA, Masahiro (Laboratory of Systematic Entomology, Hokkaido
University, Sapporo, Japan). Material examined: all histerid taxa from
the 1995 expedition (Japanese team's collections).
- SIKES, Derek (Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology,
Universtiy of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut). Material examined: all
nicrophorine (Silphidae) taxa from the 1996 expedition (U.S.A. team's
RESEARCH PRODUCTS.-A checklist of all coleopteran generic and
species identifications currently in the IKIP Database are available for each
family. To view a corresponding check-list, click on the family name in
the below classification (mainly following Arnett, 1968; Crowson, 1968;
and Lawrence, 1982; see Classification
PUBLICATIONS.-The following publications
chronologically) are based on data from IKIP coleopteran specimens:
- NILSSON, A. N., S. K. KHOLIN, and R. B. ANGUS. 1995. Faunistics and
species richness of water beetles of the genus Helophorus
(Coleoptera, Helophoridae) of the Far East of Russia and Japan.
Japanese Journal of Systematic Entomology, 1(2): 217-221.
- OBYDOV, D. and A. SALDAITIS. 1996. A new subspecies of Carabus
(Ainocarabus) kolbei Roeschke, 1897 from the Ushishir Island
(Coleoptera, Carabidae). Coleoptera, 22: 1-5.
- NILSSON, A. N., N. MINAKAWA, and P. B. H. OBERG. 1997. The diving
beetles of the Kuril Archipelago in the Far East of Russia (Coleoptera:
Dytiscidae). Beitršdge zur Entomologie, 47(2): 365-376.
- ‘HARA, M. 1997. A new record of Hypocaccus lewisii
(Coleoptera, Histeridae) from Urup Island of the Kuril Archipelago.
Elytra, Tokyo, 25 (1): 173-174.
- NIISATO, T. 1997. Collecting records of cerambycid beetles
(Coleoptera, Cerambycidae) from the Kuril Archipelago. Elytra,
Tokyo, 25(2): 267-270.
- NISHIKAWA, M. 1997. Sciodrepoides watsoni (Spence)
(Coleoptera, Cholevidae) from the Kuril Archipelago. Elytra, Tokyo,
IKIP INSECT REPORT