Join the Burke team
When you work at the Burke, you get to help others discover more about the natural and cultural world—and do plenty of discovering yourself. There’s always something new to learn and experience!
You also get to be part of the University of Washington (UW) community. UW is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions that values its people as one of the most important assets in its pursuit of excellence in education, research and community service. UW staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty.
Find out about open employment positions below or consider getting involved through one of our volunteering opportunities.
Employment at the Burke Museum is managed by the University of Washington. Details for current openings may be found on the University of Washington’s employment page.
Career positions offer competitive benefits, including medical and dental insurance, museum membership, and a tuition exemption program. To learn more, visit the UW Benefits & Work/Life page. The University of Washington is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Work Study Positions
The Burke Museum has a number of work-study positions available to students who qualify. To find current opportunities, go to the University of Washington’s work study page and search for “Burke Museum.”
Current openings at the Burke Museum are listed below if available. For a full job description and application instructions for each position, visit the University of Washington’s employment page and search using the “Req #” listed with the position that interests you. Please do not send unsolicited resumes to Burke Museum staff.
- Welcome visitors and ensure superb visitor experience. Explain exhibits and assist visitors in way-finding. Warmly orient visitors and answer questions about all facets of the museum and surrounding area.
- Process admission, membership, and gift store transactions. Explain and promote Burke membership and other promotions.
- Serve as front line of security for galleries and public spaces. Monitor traffic through galleries; contribute to smooth operation of special events, member previews and public programs. Monitor security cameras.
- Maintain galleries and lobby by cleaning glass, and picking up trash. Support the Admissions Assistant Manager in maintaining a clean and orderly admission desk, notifying Supervisor of any supply requests.
- Actively engage with visitors in the galleries to offer information about exhibits and museum collections. In coordination with other museum staff, ensure public safety and museum security, which may include responding to alarms and enforcing museum gallery policies.
- Act as support staff during programs and events. Assist in setup and cleanup including moving tables, chairs and other equipment. Facilitate excellent visitor experience during events. In coordination with other museum staff, endure public safety and museum security.
If you don’t see a job you’re suited for, we encourage you to consider becoming a Burke volunteer. Whether you’re looking to volunteer at a one-time event or a longer-term position, the Burke offers a range of opportunities. From behind the scenes to working with the public, you may find something that’s a good fit for your skills and interest.