YURIY V. SHIBAEV
Senior Researcher, Institute of Biology and Soil Sciences, Russian Academy of Sciences, Vladivostok 690022, Russia.
M.S., zoology, Department of Zoology, Kharkov State University, Kharkov, Ukraine, 1959.
Ph.D., zoology, Far East Center, Academy of Sciences, USSR, Vladivostok, Russia, 1975
Junior Researcher, Sudzukhe Reserve (Laso Reserve), South Far East, 1959-1963.
Junior Researcher, Reserve "Kedrovaya Pad," South Far East, 1963-1968.
Junior Researcher, Institute of Biology and Soil Sciences, Far East Center, Academy of Sciences, USSR, 1968-1979.
Senior Researcher, Institute of Biology and Soil Sciences, Far East Branch, Academy of Sciences, USSR, Vladivostok, 1979-present.
Amur-Ussuri Branch of the Russian Ornithology Society, International Ornithological Committee, Seabirds Specialists Group, IUON.
Numerous collecting expeditions throughout the Russian Far East, including extensive work on the southern Kuril Islands
Since 1974, a total of 72 scientific publications on the taxonomy and distribution of birds; modern status, distribution, biology and conservation of birds, especially rare and endangered birds of the southern part of the Russian
Five publications most relevant to the present proposal:
- SHIBAEV, Yu. V., and N. M. Litvinenko. 1982. Distribution and numbers of Grus japonensis and Grus vipio in the USSR. Jour. Yamashina Inst. Ornithology, 14(2/3): 246-253.
- SHIBAEV, Yu. V. 1988. Some results of studies on cranes in the south of the Soviet Far East in 1980-1986, and basic tendencies of their future development. pp. 18-26, In: The Palearctic cranes. Vladivostok: Far East Science Center, Academ
y of Sciences, USSR.
- SHIBAEV, Yu. V. 1990. Alcids of the USSR: spectacled guillemot, marbled murrelet, Kittliz's murrelet, ancient murrelet. pp. 74-107, 139-148, In: Birds of the USSR. Moscow: Nauka Press.
- SHIBAEV, Yu. V., et al. 1993. The status, distribution, and ecology of in-shore fish-feeding alcids (Cepphus guillemots and Brachyramphus murrelets) in the North Pacific. pp. 164-175, In: The Status, Ecology, and Conservation of M
arine Birds of the North Pacific. Canadian Wildlife Service, Spec. Publ., Ottawa.
- SHIBAEV, Yu. V., et al. 1993. The status and ecology of offshore fish-feeding alcids in the North Pacific. pp. 176-186, In: The Status, Ecology, and Conservation of Marine Birds of the North Pacific. Canadian Wildlife Service, Spec. Publ.,