Curator of Entomology, Otaru Museum, Ironal 2-1-20, Otaru, Hokkaido 047, Japan.
B.S. entomology, Faculty of Science, Kagoshima University, 1985.
M.S. entomology, Institute of Entomology, Faculty of Agriculture, Hokkaido University, 1987.
Ph.D. entomology, Institute of Entomology, Faculty of Agriculture, Hokkaido University, 1991.
Fellow, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, 1990-1991.
Curator of Entomology, Otaru Museum, Otaru, 1991-present.
Botanical Society of Japan, Ecological Society of Japan, Japanese Society of Phycology.
Many informal collecting trips throughout Kokkaido plus one formal field seasons as a participant in the "Natural History Research Project in Eastern Hokkaido," sponsored by the National Science Museum, Tokyo, May-June 1992.
Since 1986, 22 scientific publications on the taxonomy, distribution, and ecology of insects, with emphasis on coleopterans of the family Histeridae.
Five publications most relevant to the present proposal:
- OHARA, M., K. Shinichi, and S. Kanda. 1989. Insecta. pp. 147-174, In: Natural History of the Kariba-Motta National Park. Sapporo.
- OHARA, M. 1989. On the species of the genus Margarinotus of Japan (Coleoptera: Histeridae). Inst. Matsum., n.s., 41: 1-50.
- OHARA, M. 1992. A revision of the genus Merohister from Japan (Coleoptera: Histeridae). Parts 1 and 2. Japan. Jour. Ent., 60(2); 377-389, 60(3): 495-501.
- OHARA, M. 1992. The insect fauna of the Nagahashi Naebo area, Otaru, central Hokkaido, Japan. Bull. Otaru Mus., 6: 1-21.
- OHARA, M., and T. Yabuki. 1992. Insect faunal survey of Mt. Yotei, Hokkaido, northern Japan. Coleoptera. Bull. Otaru Mus., 6: 55-62.