LEV J. BORKIN
Senior Researcher, Zoological Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg.
Ph.D., biology, Department of Vertebrate Zoology, Faculty of Biology and Soil Sciences, St. Petersburg State University, St. Petersburg, 1966-1971.
Postgraduate student, Department of Evolutionary Zoology, Institute of Biology and Soil Sciences, Far Eastern Branch, Academy of Sciences, Vladivostok; joint with Department of Herpetology and Ornithology, Zoological Institute, Acad
emy of Sciences, St. Petersburg, 1971-1974.
Senior Laboratory Assistant, 1975-1977, Junior Research Fellow, 1977-1986, Research Fellow, 1986-1990, Senior Research Fellow, 1990-present, Department of Herpetology and Ornithology, Zoological Institute, Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg, Russia.
Societas Europaea Herpetologica, Russian Committee on Zoological Nomenclature, Russian Herpetological Society, USSR Association of Scientists, St.Petersburg Association of Scientists, Canadian Association of Herpetologi
sts, Asiatic Herpetological Society.
Mongolia, Joint Soviet-Mongolian Integrated Biological Expedition, 1981, 1982; Soviet Marine Expedition to the Seychelles Islands, 1984; numerous collecting expeditions throughout Siberia and the Russian Far East, including e
xtensive work on Sakhalin and the southern Kuril Islands.
Since 1971, a total of 127 scientific papers on the systematics distribution, hybridization, ecology, and conservation and amphibians and reptiles.
Five publications most relevant to the present proposal:
- BORKIN, L. J., and Yu. M. Korotkov. 1981. On the protection of the amphibians and reptiles of Siberia and the USSR Far East. pp. 28-37, In: L. J. Borkin (ed.), Herpetological Investigations in Siberia and the Far East. Leningrad.
- BORKIN, L. J., and A. M. Bassarukin. 1984. Distribution, ecology, and morphological variation in the Siberian salamander, Hynobius keyserlingii, on Sakhalin Island. Proc. Zool. Inst., USSR Acad. Sci., Leningrad, 124: 12 -54.
- BORKIN, L. J., and V. G. Krever. 1987. Protection of amphibians and reptiles in natural reserves of the Russian Federation. pp. 39-53, In: I. S. Darevsky and V. G. Krever (eds.), Amphibians and Reptiles of Protected Territories. Moscow.
- BORKIN, L. J., and S. L. Kuzmin. 1988. Amphibians of Mongolia. pp. 30-197, In: E. I. Vorobieva and I. S. Darevsky (eds.), Amphibians and Reptiles of the Mongolian People's Republic. Moscow.
- BORKIN, L. J., M. Nishioka, M. Sumida, and Z. Wu. 1992. Genetic differentiation of thirty populations of amphibians of the Palearctic region elucidated by the electrophoretical method. Sci. Rep. Lab. Amphibian Biol., Hiroshima Univ., 11(3):