We're excited to welcome you to the Burke Museum!
The new Burke Museum opens this October and we're booking field trips beginning November 12, 2019.
If you plan to arrive by bus, there is bus parking available in the lower parking lot in front of the museum. This parking is available on a first come first served basis. Please let us know that you will need bus parking when you book your program.
If you plan to arrive by car, personal vehicles are subject to University of Washington (UW) parking policies. Please visit our Parking page for campus parking information. For further questions about parking, please call UW Transportation Services at 206.685.1543.
- Early Learner Programs: $150 per group of up to 30 students
- Elementary & Middle School Programs: $200 per group of up to 35 students
- Self-guided: $65 per group of up to 15 students
Reservations for field trip programs must be made a minimum of three (3) weeks in advance. However, groups are encouraged to book as far in advance as possible, as dates and programs can sell out.
Reservations for the current school year are taken on an ongoing basis. Reservations for the following school year open on June 1.
Please notify Burke Education as soon as possible. Cancellations must be made a minimum of two weeks before the scheduled program date to receive a full refund. Clients with cancellations made with less than two weeks’ notice will be charged the full program fee. Efforts will be made to reschedule any programs cancelled with less than two weeks’ notice if requested by the client, but refunds cannot be offered.
Programs are available Monday-Friday at the following start times: 9:45 am, 10:15 am, 10:45 am, and 1:00 pm. Self-guided visits can only be booked for the 10:45 am and 1:00 pm time slots. Time slots are available on a first come first served basis. We ask that you arrive 10 minutes prior to your start time on the day of your program.
We do not offer facilitated or self-guided field trip programs on Free First Thursdays.
- Early Learners programs are 60 minutes long and include a series of hands-on activities led by a museum educator that will take place in a related gallery and learning space at the museum.
- Elementary and Middle School programs are 90 minutes and include a 45 minute facilitated lesson led by a museum educator, and a 45 minute gallery connection which is self-guided. If you are bringing more than 70 students you will need to spend an additional 45 minutes at the museum to accommodate everyone. We ask that you decide in advance how your groups will spend their extra time. Exploring another gallery is a great option!
- Self-guided groups are free to explore the museum at your own pace. We recommend planning to be at the museum for at least 90 minutes.
After your program, you are welcome to stay and explore the other galleries in the museum. Should you need to leave and come back on the same day, re-entry is permitted. The museum is open from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm each day.
We prefer groups stay after their program to see the rest of the museum, rather than arriving early. Please notify Burke Education in advance if this is something you would like to do.
If you have less than 10 students in your group, we recommend choosing a self-guided visit to the museum.
Maximum group size varies by program type:
- Early Learners: 60 students max; groups over 30 will be divided in half during your program
- Elementary and Middle School programs: 105 students max; each 45 minute rotation can accommodate 35 students max
- Self-guided: 120 students max
We request a minimum of one (1) chaperone for every seven (7) students participating in the program. Chaperones are admitted free to the museum with your group.
Groups do not need to bring anything on their field trip. Please leave valuables, backpacks, and other unnecessary belongings at home. Backpacks are not allowed in the galleries (with the exception of chaperones carrying medical supplies). The Burke doesn’t have secured storage space on-site and is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Unfortunately the Burke doesn’t have dedicated indoor space for groups to eat lunch, and food and drink is not permitted in the galleries. It is recommended that groups eat lunch at school if possible. For special circumstances, outdoor or indoor eating space can be arranged in advance.
We are dedicated to working to accommodate all visitors with disabilities and provide the best possible museum experience. If you are concerned about the facility’s ability to meet your group’s needs, please contact the Education Department at 206.543.5591.
To request additional disability accommodations, please contact the University of Washington Disability Services office at least 10 days prior to your visit to the museum. The office can be reached at 206.543.6450 (voice), 206.543.6452 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about our field trip programs, please contact us via email or by phone before submitting a request. When you’re ready, you can submit your request via our online form. Once we have received your request, we will respond within three (3) business days with more information. If we can accommodate your request, you will receive an email with your reservation details and a link to confirm or decline the reservation. If you we are unable to accommodate your request, we will contact you to discuss alternative dates or options.
Once your field trip is finalized, you will receive an invoice and a packet of pre-visit information via email. You can pay for your program by check, credit card or purchase order. Payment is due on or before the date of your program. If you choose to pay by credit card, you can do so via our online portal. You will receive a link to this portal when you confirm your reservation.