Sunday, September 18, 2016
10 am – 4 pm
Bug out as thousands of specimens, dead and alive, fly, buzz, or crawl to the Burke Museum for Bug Blast, a favorite annual all-ages event. Get eye-to-eye with live bugs and spiders plus a honeycomb with live bees and a transparent ant nest. Also examine bugs of all kinds from the Burke’s collections and try some buggy snacks.
Special this year: live bug shows with The Bug Chicks! These two scientists (as seen on TV!) take time off from their research to inspire all of us to find our inner “bugdork.” Their presentation showcases the diversity of arthropods, and invites us to touch, hold, and pet the amazing creatures in their Bug Zoo. Shows at 10:30 am, 12:30 pm and 2:30 pm.
Additional Bug Blast activities include:
- Hold live bugs like tarantulas and Madagascar cockroaches—if you dare!
- See beetles, butterflies and more from the Burke's insect collection and spectacular private collections that are only viewable at Bug Blast
- Get a bug's eye view with insect eye glasses
- Find out how to care for bees and cultivate your own honey with the Puget Sound Beekeepers Association
- Examine two beautiful specimens of Green Darner Dragonfly, the Washington state insect, on display for the first time
- And more!
More information available at burkemuseum.org/bugblast.
For high resolution images and interviews with the Burke’s spider expert, contact email@example.com.