INCLUDED WITH MUSEUM ADMISSION; FREE FOR BURKE MEMBERS, W/UW ID, AND CHILDREN 4 & UNDER
We've combined two of our most popular annual events—Bug Blast and Meet the Mammals—into an amazing day of fuzzy, slimy, cuddly and crawly fun! See hundreds of specimens from the Burke’s entomology and mammal collections, and hear from experts about all sorts of amazing animals that roam the earth!
The Bug Chef
David George Gordon, AKA The Bug Chef, returns to the Burke with buggy recipes. Attend a cooking demonstration where The Bug Chef will recruit volunteer chef’s helpers and taste testers from the audience. Find out how bugs pack a powerful, nutritious punch, and for the brave, try a sampling of The Bug Chef’s creations—with ingredients like black ants and tarantula—for yourself! Check back here for updates on cooking show time.
Additional activities include:
- Touch live bugs like tarantulas and cockroaches—if you dare!
- Solve mysteries in an animal-themed scavenger hunt
- Check out mammal headgear, such as massive antlers and horns
- See beautifully-preserved butterflies and talk to experts from the Washington Butterfly Association
- Examine the variety of ways mammals move—from bats that soar in the sky, to the mammals that swim in our oceans
- Animal-inspired crafts, face painting, and more!
In honor of Veterans Day, admission to Amazing Animals and the Burke Museum is free to veterans and service members with ID.